Grant Aleksander played Phillip Spaulding on Guiding Light from 1983-2009, taking a three-year break in the ’90s to portray Alec McIntyre on All My Children. He’s currently filming Tainted Dreams, where he plays Adam Clark, the mercurial Executive Producer of the soap-within-a-soap. Sound familiar?

Carolyn with Grant Aleksander at Blondies

Carolyn with Grant Aleksander at Blondies

“I’m playing the power thing,” explains Aleksander. “There’s a little bit of [Chris] Goutman, a little bit of Paul Rauch. Paul did this thing which Jordan Clarke [Billy, GL] brought to my attention. Powerful men don’t extend their hand – they make you come to them. Paul did that. I’ve done that a couple of times [in scenes]. Chris has this thing with his eyes where he takes a second and doesn’t say anything, he just gives you these intense eyes. He’d kill me for saying that. Chris trained me at ATWT [to be a director], I am forever grateful to him.”

Indeed, Goutman worked with TD on a few of their locations, like “the scenes Marnie [Schulenburg] and I had at the hotel.”

Hotel?!

“It’s a little embarrassing,” sighs Aleksander. “Here are these beautiful young ladies in the full flower of all that, and I’m a 54 year- old guy with mummy skin. They should have gotten a younger guy.”

Wrong! Aleksander is perfect as the handsome, sought-after soap boss.

“He works very hard at maintaining his job,” the actor previews. “Whatever strong creative impulses he had at one point, he subordinates to maintain his station. And then, in a moment of madness, he does this crazy thing.”

Aleksander can relate… to a point.

“I did a lot of crazy stuff when I was very young, but Sherry and I have been together forever,” he says, referring to his wife of 26 years, attorney Sherry Ramsey. “So I didn’t have this period in my ‘middle age’ where I acted out. One of the great things about [soap operas] is that we get to go through stuff like that without suffering. I’ve always been too terrified of losing the best thing that ever happened to me, but I can PLAY a middle-aged man losing his mind.”

Grant and his fellow castmates lost one of the best things that ever happened to them in 2009 when GL went off the air.

“Oddly enough, Paul was working on getting the show back on the air before he died,” reveals Aleksander. “He had gotten pretty far with that, he was talking to big network executives. P&G was interested. When you look at what’s going on in Stamford right now [where AMC and OLTL have been filming], I don’t think P&G will just sit on a creative property if there’s a profit to be made.”

In fact, Aleksander has been observing the action as a director. “I really like what AMC and OLTL are doing up there. There are some great people working hard to produce material that is very true to what we used to do. It’s not some bastardized version. If that succeeds, others will follow.”

Would he consider reprising Phillip if GL was rebooted on the Internet? “I think if it happens, the response would be similar to what happened with AMC and OLTL. Older actors who have a long-term relationship with the show would be happy to sign on for obvious reasons: Being with old friends, making some money, and getting their insurance picked up!”

Which are some of the reasons so many veteran actors signed on to film TD.

“This has really been delightful,” he praises. “Sonia [Blangiardo, creator and director] is one of those rare people in this business that is every bit as genuine and delightful as she appears to be. Lots of people can put that on, but then you spend time around them and realize it’s bull. This business usually kicks people out like Sonia. She’s talented and bright and sweet – yet she managed to succeed in spite of it,” he laughs.

Tainted Dreams debuts in January. Complete details on where to watch and storyline previews coming soon!

11 Responses to TAINTED DREAMS: Is Guiding Light Coming Back?!

• kathie stokes says:

My grandmother listened to guilding light in the radio and them in it I grew up watching it I love that show I even revoled my life around that show I sure hope that they bring it back in the air

• Curtis Knight says:

I feel that cbs should strongly consider getting guiding light back on the air everywhere i go i hear people raving about how unfare it was to viewers that cbs who was the most whatched day time tv channel I mean my grand mother is now 75 years old and she still want see the guiding light return please cbs u had great vision to bring on the air so please bring it back and ur rating will be thru the roof

• Marilyn Adelson says:

I was a Guiding Light addict for years. I was very upset when it went off the air. I’m looking forward to Tainted Dreams.

• Marcia says:

I’d watch Grant read the phone book, but I’d LOVE to see GL come back to life! ATWT, too!

does anyone know if Tainted Dreams will have closed captioning? I’ll probably watch it just to see everyone, even if I can’t hear anything!

• Louisa Hewitt says:

It’s apparent that television programming leaders underestimated the loyal fan base of shows like GL and AMC. I for one have been watching TOLN and even started watching OLTL because I support the great effort that is being made to protect this genre. It was great to discover Ron Raines on OLTL but he will always be Alan Spaulding to me. Will I watch GL again? You bet!

• Pingback: Aleksander gives Hope | Glmanny's Blog

• O. says:

They should bring back Guiding Light I want my daily dosage of Reva again

• Rodd says:

I think he’s so on the money when he said he doesn’t think P&G would sit on a property if there is money to be made. They had so many hit shows at one time that I’m sure they couldn’t afford to bring them all back. Therefore, I’d like to suggest they grouped the shows and bring back characters from different shows crossing over in s/l on a weekly basis. LOL! Could you imagine Rachel Cory Hutchins doing business with Reva Shayne and Lucinda Walsh plotting to steal the deal? Or what about one of the McCleary brothers welcoming Mike Karr to Henderson when Ricki Dekker discovers oil in their back yard and they need an attorney? The potential is endless and fun….Oh, one can dream…

• Cathy Borah says:

I love Guiding Light and I hope that someone does bring it back…I will be watching Tainted Dreams too because of Grant and all the others from Guiding Light being on there.

• Cathy Borah says:

I love Grant and will be watching Tainted Dreams especially since a lot o

• Pingback: GRANT ALEKSANDER: "Paul Rauch Was Working on Getting 'GUIDING LIGHT' Back on the Air" | The Buzz - Buzzworthy Radio!