Finola Hughes

Carolyn with past Lead Actress Winner Finola Hughes at the 2008 Emmys

First, the good news:

Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke) has finally been nominated for a Daytime Emmy after 26 years on B&B. Kristen Alderson, who started playing Starr as a young child on OLTL, has also finally gotten a nod for Younger Lead Actress after bringing Starr to GH.

OLTL got very well deserved nods for Best Show and Best Writing. There are also many other talented names in the mix, reflecting a great year of hard work and achievement.

That said, I found some of the categories to be backwards. KKL, who drove major story and was on more B&B episodes than any other actor, was nominated in Supporting. Heather Tom (Katie), who was only frontburner for a few months in 2012, got the nod in Lead. Both are very deserving, but they seem to be in the wrong categories.

I asked a B&B spokesperson about that, and here’s her response:

“Each actress and actor was given the opportunity to choose which category they wanted to submit in. Katherine Kelly Lang felt strongly that this year she played a supporting role to Susan Flannery in the ‘Stephanie Says Goodbye’ storyline. It obviously was the right choice for her – we are thrilled she has received her first Emmy nomination!”

It’s interesting that these actresses judged themselves by their storylines, not by their work for the whole year.

And what can we say about the Younger Actor/Actress category? If you’re under 25 on a soap opera, you will be nominated. It doesn’t matter if you only worked five days last year, or got fired. It’s time to jettison this category in favor of something like “Outstanding Limited Run.” That way, the Robin Mattsons of the world would have a proper shot (Heather, GH).

Here’s a list of the major categories, along with a few opinions:

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

• B&B
  • DAYS
  • GH
  • OLTL
  • Y&R

All good!

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Susan Flannery (Stephanie, B&B)
  • Peggy McCay (Caroline, DAYS)
  • Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, Y&R)
  • Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)

Peggy McCay is a lovely actress, but she was not a Lead Actress on DAYS in 2012. Supporting? Yes. Glaring omissions: Finola Hughes (Anna, GH), Laura Wright (Carly, GH), Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki, Y&R) and Alison Sweeney (Sami, DAYS) who wasn’t even pre-nominated.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Peter Bergman (Jack, Y&R)
  • Doug Davidson (Paul, Y&R)
  • Michael Muhney (Adam, Y&R)
  • Jason Thompson (Patrick, GH)

Glaring omissions: Don Diamont (Bill, B&B) and Roger Howarth (Todd, GH).

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Julie Marie Berman (ex-Lulu, GH)
  • Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
  • Jessica Collins (Avery, Y&R)
  • Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke, B&B)
  • Arianne Zucker (Nicole, DAYS)

The gaping hole here is Robin Mattson who personifies everything you want in a “supporting” actress – as does Jane Elliot (Tracy, GH) who wasn’t even pre-nominated.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Bradford Anderson (Spinelli, GH)
  • Jeff Branson (ex-Ronan, Y&R)
  • Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
  • Billy Miller (Billy, Y&R)

Glaring omissions: Bryan Datillo (Lucas, DAYS) and John McCook (Eric, B&B) who submitted himself in Lead.

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Kristen Alderson (Starr, GH)
  •  Hunter King (Summer, Y&R)
  • Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy, B&B)
  • Lindsey Morgan (ex-Kristina, GH)

After 15 years of being ignored, Alderson had better win this or I’m going to storm the stage.

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

• Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R)
  • Bryton James (Devon, Y&R)
  • Chandler Massey (Will, DAYS)
  • Freddie Smith (Sonny, DAYS)

Massey is the only one with a knock-out reel, full of beautiful, nuanced work as a young gay man struggling with his orientation.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES WRITING

• B&B
  • GH
  • OLTL
  • Y&R

I’m surprised DAYS isn’t there, but thrilled that OLTL is. Head Writer Ron Carlivati’s speech about why people love soap operas on OLTL’s submitted episode will go down in history. (Check it out on youtube with a tissue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezsp9MbD1kw)

The 40th Annual Daytime Emmys will air live from the Beverly Hilton in L.A. on Sunday, June 16.

Now, tell me what YOU think:

23 Responses to TAINTED DREAMS: Emmy Hits and Misses

• Amber Starr says:

Glad that Kristen Alderson was nominated, but I think Jacqueline McInnes Wood from B&B is also a powerhouse actress who doesn’t get enough credit.

• Doug says:

Don Diamonte and Trevor St. John should be in the Lead Actor category. It is time that Allison Sweeney is nominated in the Lead Actress category.

• Ilene says:

The only two glaring omissions I saw on the list were Finola Hughes as Lead Actress and Robin Matson as Supporting Actress. Both actresses brought their characters to life with subtle nuances and a real connection to their roles and the rest of the cast of General Hospital. There was no OTT craziness, screeching or crying–just true, honest, believable emotions.

As for the actors, each of the nominees were great last year. I have to say I’m rooting for my faves–Jason Thompson (Lead) and Bradford Anderson (Supporting), but I love everyone of the actors nominated.

Ilene

BTW, I also agree with Louisa’s comment.

• Kim says:

#OLTL was the greatest, and highest rated ABC soap. Deserves all accolades and is a current show.

• Jocelyn says:

Viki’s speech on One Life to Live is one of the best things I’ve ever seen on tv. OLTL deserves the writing Emmy for that alone.

IMO, Robin Mattson & Finola Hughes were most definitely robbed. Since others have commented, I will chime in and agree with Louisa about Kelly Sullivan. I am not a fan of OTT acting. Hoping for a win by Jason T though in the lead actor category.

I was loving OLTL when it went off the air (my vote above for show) and am loving it and AMC now. I hope that both shows will be included in the voting for next year. If the first 4 episodes are any indication of what is to come, we will have some excellent reels available for consideration.

• debbie bhat1a says:

Not much to support this past year in soaps, but not that AMC and OLTL are back I hope next yr is another story…

• Terry says:

Unless NATAS changes their rules AMC and OLTL won’t be eligible for Emmy consideration. They are not broadcast on television. There are awards given to web-based series for which they will be eligible.

• Splum says:

Ron didn’t write Viki’s speech. Scott Sickles did!

• DEBBIE says:

General Hospital all the way!!!!

• Sue Corbett says:

Could not believe Kelly Sullivan wasn’t nominated. When those 2 character’s first came out, nobody did it better. Something is really wronge here.

• SaveOurSuds says:

Great article Carolyn! Although I think that the Emmys got in it right with categories such as writing and best show, the actor nominations are a mess. I completely agree with the comments you made. Finola Hughes and Roger Howarth deserve to be nominated as did Robin Mattson. A few of the nominations are actually a little embarrassing.

• sean says:

I thought Mattson was a shoo in to win.

I’m so happy for Doug Davidson, Peter Bergman, and Michael Muhney from Y&R. I agree with you about Kristen Alderson, I hope you are not forced to storm the stage!

• Dileo33 says:

I really don’t understand the Peggy McKay nomination. How does that happen? The storyline lasted 5 episodes and was used to write Bo out of the show and has all but been forgotten. How does it qualify as lead?

• louisa says:

Kelly Sullivan could only win the over-acting award.

There are many other actresses on OLTL and GH who are much more deserving.

The daytime Emmys make no sense and are not representative of what’s going on.

• Anne says:

So happy for Jason Thompson. Those scenes after Robin dies, when he’s getting ready for the funeral, are incredible. The depth of feeling and sadness was palpable. I hope he takes it home!

• sallah says:

the Daytime Emmy Nominations are once again a let down. i don’t understand how you cannot nominate the best performances from Kelly Sullivan, Robin Mattson, and Finola Hughes. i don’t think Jane Elliot submitted anything this year. 🙁 i’m really confused about Doug Davidson and Peter Bergman, but Jason Thompson deserves to win this category.

• Terry says:

Doug Davidson did some good work with the death of Ricky, but Peter Bergman didn’t really have anything outstanding last year. He’s a great actor, but I think he got this nomination more on his name than the work last year. His addiction storyline this year is much stronger.

• Dee Williams says:

I’m shocked that Kelly Sullivan wasn’t nominated in Supporting Actress for her outstanding work as Kate/Connie on GH! She knocked it outta the park, day after day. She doesn’t get nominated but Lindsey Morgan does for Kristina? I don’t get it.