Last night, I attended the glittery relaunch of All My Children and One Life To Live, now produced by Prospect Park.

Most of the big stars were there, talking up the returning shows like this was a mini-Emmy ceremony: AMC’sDebbi Morgan, Darnell Williams, Julia Barr, Jill Larson, Cady McClain, Vincent Irizarry, Thorsten Kaye; OLTL’s Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser, Bob Woods, Hillary Smith, Tuc Watkins, Jerry verDorn, Florencia Lozano, Melissa Archer, etc.

Carolyn with Thorsten Kaye at the AMC/OLTL premiere.

Carolyn with Thorsten Kaye at the AMC/OLTL premiere.

PP honchos Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz kicked off the premieres (at NYU’s Skirball Center) with speeches praising the cast and crew for the hard work and long hours they’ve been putting in to bring the shows back.

“At times, we thought we’d never get to this place,” quipped Jeff, “and 5:00 today was one of those times.”

He went on to say that PP has tried hard to “honor the legacy of these shows,” saying to the large crowd assembled (which included fans), “I am literally begging you: No spoilers.”

AMC Executive Producer Ginger Smith thanked Agnes Nixon (among others), calling her, “My mentor, my friend, my inspiration. Let’s go to Pine Valley!”

OLTL Executive Producer Jen Pepperman thanked the fans who “made these dreams come true” before sharing OLTL’s new motto: “Let’s get crazy, let’s get nuts.”

Trust me: the first episode is both.

One big OLTL star was not at the screening, probably so PP could keep the secret of his/her return until the reboot on Monday. That prompted a hilarious exchange with Melissa Archer at the after-party when I commented how great it was to see that actor on screen again.

Melissa: “What are you talking about? I don’t know anything about that.”

Me: “I just saw the show.”

Melissa: “Oh, right!”

Jeff Kwatinetz doesn’t have to worry about spoilers getting out with Melissa Archer around…

Thorsten Kaye confessed that he was puzzled by all the questions on the Red Carpet about the “new platform.”

“As far as I’m concerned, it’s the same,” he mused. “I’m doing the same work on the same sets with the same people. The ‘platform’ is Prospect Park’s job.”

And Prospect Park has made the shows very accessible. The easiest way in my opinion is to Google “Hulu All My Children” and “Hulu One Life To Live.” You’ll get recaps and a sneak peek of the reboots until April 29 when you’ll get the whole first episode of each show.

As Jeff Kwatinetz puts it, “It’s not daytime, it’s anytime.”

“We all agree that there are more stories to be told,” concluded Thorsten Kaye. “We weren’t done. Watching online may be different for some people, but Netflix, Hulu, all that sh-t is only available on the Internet. Even I am biting the bullet. Here’s my wish list: The Internet and running water. I think they’re both here to stay.”

11 Responses to TAINTED DREAMS: Welcome back, AMC and OLTL!

• Matthew says:

Carolyn, when are we going to get your critical take on these reboots? There’s a lot to talk about.

• Dana Meyer says:

Carolyn will be reviewing the reboots next week (week of May 6) after viewing the first week of episodes. In the meantime, check out Carolyn’s blog TAINTED DREAMS: Emmy Hits and Misses and vote for the show you believe should win the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series.

Thanks for asking!
      Dana
      NYC Brand Productions

• Kim DeLozier says:

Well, I just finished watching the premier of One Life To Live. It was wonderful seeing so many of my favorites. Those beautiful women must be thrilled with their larger breasts and slimmer waistelines. This show had humor, reality and both Todd’s. I can’t wait to see whats next. I will always be tuned in.

Kim DeLozier

• Matthew says:

Really excited to go back to Llanview!

• I hope that they come back and they are so GREAT the WABC EXECUTIVES “CHOKE”.

Love Thorsten! The first episodes of both shows were fantastic! I laughed, I cried, I loved them! No spoilers from me either – all I will say they are full of fun, sexiness, relationships and FUN! I hope someone else caught the song they used when Pete is driving home…VERY CLEVER!

It was like coming home. LOVE!

• Brett says:

I never thought it would happen, so happy to be proved wrong!

• Cynthia Hampton says:

My life will be complete again with my soaps back in them…Gotta have my AMC and Zach fix…Not only are the soaps coming home…the fans are coming hom,e…like a big family reunion…Thank you Prospect Park, writers actors and all the sweat and blood you have put into this. It does this old heart good to see something old that young have tried to put down for the mighty dollar…and watch it rise from the ashes and Shine bright and new for the old …and the new to enjoy…Long live our soaps…

• Meg says:

SO EXCITED ! I can hardly wait .especially for that actor, 😉 .so grateful to PP and and FX.

• Atomic Liz says:

This makes me so happy I could scream! So, in honor of my friend June, I’d just like to say EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’ll be there no matter what. Please tell TK I said hi!

• Gerardo Ramirez says:

I am really hoping that they succeed.This could be another golden age for soaps,in a new format.GO PP!GO AMC & GO OLTL!