One Life to Live started taping the reboot on March 18 in Stamford, Connecticut . OLTL 2.0 is an online series produced by Prospect Park , slated to air on TOLN, Hulu and other sites beginning April 29, 2013. Most of the original faves are on board – including Llanview’s favorite bad girl Blair Cramer, played by (who else?) Kassie DePaiva.

Carolyn: How did you feel walking onto a OLTL set again?

Kassie: My whole body just shook with happiness. I am so glad to be doing this again. There is a really good energy there. So many of the people that I had grown to love at OLTL are there, and I had a complete flashback to P&G with all the people working there that I know from Guiding Light.

Carolyn: Right – you were Chelsea Reardon! Is OLTL coming back fast-forwarded years ahead like AMC?

Kassie: No. There are some recasts, but other than that it’s pretty much current time. I have not seen Natalie and John’s baby yet, but I’m sure he’ll be a little older. My little Sam is the same. Well, he’s not mine, he’s Margaret’s [laughs]. They’re making the teenagers young adults. You can tell a different tale when you’re 21 than when you’re 16. I think the fans will like it. It’s creative. I look at it that we have an opportunity to be more than a soap – it’s scripted drama. We can tell a different type of story.

Carolyn: Where do we find Blair?

Kassie: Blair is pretty much where she was. They’re addressing what happened at the end of OLTL, not what went on in Port Charles [on GH]. There’s a Tomas reference, then we pick up with her relationship with Todd. Roger [Howarth] is there. Todd comes back to town because of a family issue, and Blair and Todd pick up where they left off. They have a lot of unfinished business, a lot of rich history to pull from. Fans need to know that [head writer] Susie Bedsow Horgan was producing OLTL during the ‘Golden Balloon’ wedding, and she honors that.

Carolyn: How long is Roger going to be on OLTL?

Kassie: I don’t know the length of his stay, whether it’s short-lived or long-term. I don’t know if a deal has been worked out between Prospect Park and ABC. Gosh, I hope so. I love my daughter Starr and I love my off-and-on bad-boy husband. I watch GH. It was refreshing to see Todd in a new environment on GH where he was not colored by his past. But here it’s like, ‘Dude, we know who you are.’ I love that.

Carolyn: Does OLTL address Todd’s relationship with Carly on GH?

Kassie: We don’t mention Carly, but I only have this week’s scripts. I would love for that to happen. What I am playing is, ‘I love Todd but I know he has slept with Carly.’ That has not been addressed, but I’m playing it. Blair and Todd have always been so terribly jealous of any other relationship, so it’s embryonic. I hope they address that Blair knows: ‘Why don’t you go home to your blah-blah girlfriend, Todd?!’

Carolyn: What can you tell me about Trevor St. John returning as a very much alive Victor?

Kassie: We’ve got to address something there – that was the last shot of the episode! That’s all I’m going to say.

Carolyn: How about the other characters?

Kassie: They pick up with Viki and Clint, and Dorian is a big frickin’ senator. There’s a big event that is going to shake up a lot of things, and some big reveals. It’s exactly what you’d expect from a soap, full of things that make you want to tune in tomorrow.

Carolyn: How are the sets?

Kassie: Beautiful. Fans will go, ‘Wow, that’s the exact same set.’ Hurricane Sandy did come through the Eastern seaboard, so if something looks different we can explain it that way. I’m sure Robin [Strasser] will throw that in!

Carolyn: Has Blair seen David Vickers yet?

Kassie: I work with Tuc [Watkins] tomorrow. He’ll bring a bunch of sunshine to the set. It’s all good. I adore the actors on OLTL, it was so wonderful to see Erika [Slezak] on Monday. The only bad thing is that Florencia [Lozano, Tea] and I have dressing rooms that are further apart. Hillary [B. Smith, Nora] and Florencia are in a different section, I miss them.

Carolyn: How do the dressing rooms work?

Kassie: We share with AMC. It’s funny to see whose dressing room you overlap with. I share with Vincent Irizarry [David], Hillary has Cady McClain [ Dixie ], Erika is with Debbi Morgan [Angie], Bob Woods [Bo] and Thorsten [Kaye, Zach] share. There was a chair and a lamp on a side table in my dressing room, and I called Vincent and said, ‘I’m going to have to bring in a makeup table.’ He said, ‘You can decorate it in Laura Ashley for all I care!’

Carolyn: What’s your overall impression so far?

Kassie: It’s a lot of hard work. Even though we all know what we’re doing, there’s a new crew, new sets, new boss, new facility. I equate it with putting on my 3-inch pumps: ‘I’ll get used to walking soon.’ I want you to come out Carolyn, it’s a really good vibe. Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz want this to be successful. They watch every scene. They are very hands-on and very appreciative. After working under the umbrella of a network for so long, I feel so much more freedom. They are really grateful and say ‘Thank you.’ Not that ABC wasn’t grateful, but it was a machine. We were so used to being the red-headed stepchild at OLTL; now we’re the gem in the crown. It’s nice. One actress – I won’t tell you which one – said, ‘It’s like having an abusive boyfriend that you didn’t know was abusive until you dated a nice guy.’ For the last 25 years I feel like I’ve been fighting to keep these soaps on the air. Now, it’s a fresh start. It feels similar, but it’s totally different. It’s not a daytime soap anymore. Any time you want to watch us, we’re there. It will be good for the binge watcher and for the person who just wants to visit Llanview – and really good for everyone who missed it.

25 Responses to TAINTED DREAMS: Kassie DePaiva’s 2nd Life to Live

• Patti says:

Todd and Carly. Bring them back for a long run.

• Pingback: Kassie DePaiva Teases New ‘One Life to Live’ | Soap Opera Network

• The Phoenix and the Dragon says:

I am a lifetime Todd and Blair fan. I want them to be friends if they cannot be more. I like seeing them conspiring together. I love Little Sam. I just wish that they would bring Hope back to life. We need some sweet children to offset the often harsh storylines. Please though keep Mitch dead. Loved the actor but hated how unbalanced the character was. Please bring Cassie back too.

• Maureen says:

Great interview! Thank you!! Can’t wait to read more from you on Llanview!!

• Cathy says:

What a great interview! Thrilled that OLTL gets a 2nd life, & particularly thrilled to see Todd back in Llanview where all of his history resides. Can’t wait for Todd & Blair to mix it up again! Looking forward to a long term story there, & the development of the Todd/Jack relationship which was cut off when OLTL was cancelled.

• Jackie J says:

We are getting all set up to view our shows once again. Very excited they will be back, and I know that they are going to be better than ever! Congratulations and thanks to Prospect Park for their attentiveness to viewers’ wishes.

• Philip Chase says:

Having been a Kassie fan since her Chelsea days, I’m eagerly looking forward to the reboot. We have a Hulu date on April 29! LOL

• lucy says:

Why Kassie said she doesn’t know how long Roger Howarth stay on OLTL ?! Hello we know ! The press did explain he stays for 4 weeks and after that he comes back on GH come on..

• SaveOurSuds says:

I’m kind of hoping Blair gets a new guy. A real love interest not just someone Blair is using to as a way to get back at Todd. I would like to see KDP play that out.

• Sandi says:

What a nice interview! I think Kassie is great! And I’m thrilled to hear Blair and Todd are still going to be playing the love angle. Favorite couple ever!

Great interview! I sure do miss your in-depth interviews in WEEKLY before it passed. I will have to learn how to watch my soaps, but you can be certain that I will! and Cassie, FWIW, I always thought of OLTL as a gem in ABC’s crown that they just didn’t recognize. I started watching while I was still working full-time but had the flu twice and I got to see Karen Wolek’s trial. I hope everything goes wonderfully (and that I can figure this out; my son warned me that when he went to law school, I would be on my own).

• lynn says:

I’m so excited about all of this..I have watched OLTL since it first aired and never missed one…Can not wait!!!!

• Llanviewer717 says:

Thank you for this. I have missed OLTL sooooooooooooo much. I am very happy that so many of these wonderful actors are bring their fabulous characters back to life. April 29th cannot come soon enough.

• mickey says:

Thanks, Carolyn, for being a regular gal and loving our soaps like we do. Please keep up the good work and ‘work’ our mutual appreciation society .. 🙂

• Sal Piscioneri says:

Welcome back OLTL… Good luck and hopefully we will see you all for years to come:>)

And all the fans were the neighbors and friends screaming to whoever would listen that they needed help. In the end, they heard us all and we are as overjoyed as the actors to see our shows again!

• Brian says:

I am so ready for Llanview to brighten my days once again. I cannot wait!

• NY Soap Examiner says:

Great interview with a real gem. Kassie is so real and lovely and it will be fun to see her again daily. One Life To Live was my soap to cover and i look forward to adding it to my column. Thanks Carolyn.

• Carolyn says:

This is manna from heaven. Huge fan of Todd and Blair.always thought Todd with Carly was a rip off of the Todd and Blair story. Now we get the real thing. I love gh but I really missed Erika and Robin…..all of the OLTL folks I grew up with. Kudos to PP for giving the fans their “families” back….they will be very happy. Love kassie thanks for the great interview.

• Patti says:

If the writers of GH goes with the Todd and Carly pair.
      In time it will explode.
      Just watching their videos together was awesome.

• Mary Twain says:

How Exciting, can’t wait to watch.

• Meg says: