What a great week to work in soaps!

NBC renewed DAYS through September 2014, PROSPECT PARK moved closer to rebooting AMC and OLTL, Steve Burton confirmed he was joining Y&R, and Genie Francis committed to returning to GH for its 50th Anniversary.

And trust me – there will be more surprises in the coming weeks.

One thing that puzzles me as I scope around the Internet is fan anger that more OLTL characters did not cross over to GH. ABC licensed the OLTL characters to PROSPECT PARK in the original 2011 deal, and then had to pay PP to “borrow them back” when they decided to bring Todd Manning, Starr Manning and John McBain over to Port Charles to keep fans invested in OLTL and beef up the story lines for Carly, Michael and Sam. Blair and Tea have popped in to GH as story warrants (and easily could again), but there just isn’t room to revisit the 19 year-old Todd/Blair love story on GH right now. Besides, it wouldn’t have made sense to bring a COUPLE over from OLTL. Where is the story if the characters are not integrated? GH fans would have been mad that they were taking up screen time, and the minute GH broke them up (which would have had to happen since this is a soap opera), OLTL fans would have screamed bloody murder. It was lose/lose.

Personally, I think fans will be seeing a LOT of fan fave Kassie DePaiva in 2013. First of all, she is slated to star in Tainted Dreams, the soap-within-a-soap Sonia Blangiardo is launching in July. DePaiva will play Courtney, “the show runner with a dark past,” as she told last week’s Soap Opera Digest. DePaiva added that “Courtney is very different from Blair,” which means she’ll get to stretch her acting muscles in between stints as our favorite Cramer woman.

That’s right, I said “in between stints.” Because Kassie DePaiva HAS to be one of the first names signed now that PP is casting the OLTL reboot. Jerry ver Dorn (Clint) has already announced he will be part of the show. Throw in DePaiva, Erika Slezak (Viki) and Trevor St. John (ex-Todd, now Victor) and you’ve got the start of a DREAM cast.

Pun intended!

10 Responses to TAINTED DREAMS: The Plot Thickens

• JC says:

I totally disagree Todd & Blair have many stories left in them that do not require having to break them up. For once Todd could be part of Blair’s storyline (e.g.:Who’s Blair & they can work together w/tea to find Victor Jr.). That’s just 2 of several I can think of and if the writers are as good as they say then they can come up with some too. Also Todd and Carly are so forced that I see two actors trying to hard to win the fans over which for the majority they haven’t. That court scene proved to me that Todd is not in love with Carly because appeared to phone those scenes in. Compare that scene with the first one Todd and Blair shared at the hospital when Starr had the accident and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Laura Wright is just wishful thinking that she has a super couple in the mist, if anything they are horrible and unbelievable. She was right the fans would go nuts after those scenes aired, but not in the way she thinks – we just want these two to end and TnB to get back together.
    Ron has messed up Todd and Roger look more like a clown then that great actor I once enjoyed having on my TV screen, know I just find myself changing the channel when he’s on. Especially scene with Laura, these two will never change the majority of TnB fans to Tarly fans. The OLTL characters belong in Lanview peroid. It’s just my opinion along with alot of fans I know.

• WingsStef says:

I am a big a Todd and Blair fan, but I understand your point. Todd & Starr have found some semi-roots in GH, and I don’t think that is changing anytime soon. Perhaps it will be like PC and GH in a way. The two stories both existing in almost parallel universes. I do not mean having two Todds. What I mean is, that Todd and Starr can be referenced in both “worlds” as long as it doesn’t mess up the timeline too much, while the two stories stay kind of separate. Todd probably should be in jail. Being in Port Charles, he kind of escapes this fate. (Of course OLTL fans know he didn’t really kill Victor, but if Todd stays on GH, that storyline is likely in limbo.)

One Life to Live and All My Children both to were in my opinion more about family. And maybe theses reboots will embrace this again. Time shall tell.

I am excited that characters of Viki, Bo, Clint, and Dorian will be back. That is awesome. Will Blair been there with Tomas? Or will that chapter behind us because he was “recalled” and she will have new adventures with someone new, or maybe PP can get James/Max back. I was also a huge Max/Blair fan.

Either way, I am intrigued.

• Miss M says:

Keep doing what you do, because I could read your work all day long. I am slightly nervous about how the OLTL folks on GH will transition over to the OLTL reboot. I just want to see everyone back and the stories continue. But I must say, things are looking much better for the state of soaps right now than they were a year ago.

• Devi says:

I am so excited about KDP and am getting nervous as to why PP hasn’t announced her already. RH can stay in PC, but the character of Todd must come back to OLTL and Blair. That is all I want is my Todd and Blair and their stories.

• Heather says:

What? Todd without Blair is boring. Their relationship is so deliciously dysfunctional. OLTL only gave us like two months of really good T&B scenes. I want so much more. Todd’s current pairing puts me to sleep. I save give Todd back to OLTL and his family.

• sheliaainsworth says:

I Want Kassie DePaiva back on GH With Todd. Todd & Blair is the No1 Couple ever!

• I loved the second carolyn articles. I can’t wait to see the return of my two soap. Tainted Dreams sound like it will be a winner. Good luck to the future.

• Ugonna Wosu says:

All I care about is seeing Todd, Blair and their Manning children(including Starr!) on One Life To Live. Please reunite this family!

• Kay says:

I don’t agree that there is not room for T&B on GH. ABC should MAKE ROOM. Period, or just let Todd go to OLTL REBOOT and call it a day. Nothing beats the Roger and Kassie magic that is T&B.

• Jen says:

I completely disagree re: Todd and Blair. Integration does not necessarily mean romance. Todd and Blair could have been battling Sonny and Carly over Starr’s accident and/or her relationship with Michael. They could have gotten involved in business in Port Charles, tussling with the Qs. These paint by number pre-destined pairings are unimaginative and predictable.

Not to mention that it does not fit Todd’s character to become involved with someone new so quickly. When you have to change basic character attributes just to hammer a character into a set-in-stone plot, then you’ve failed, no?

I hope PP isn’t just blowing smoke and they really do relaunch OLTL, and I hope Todd and Blair end up back there together, where they belong. I don’t know who Roger Howarth is playing on GH, but it’s not Todd Manning.